Monday, June 05, 2006

Houston in 24 hours

Well this past weekend, we made a quick trip to Houston to visit Whitney and Sander and their lovely apartment! We left Friday night after work and came back Saturday night. For those of you who don't know, it's about a 6 hour drive from Paris to Houston.

It was a fun trip despite the long drive. We ate dinner in Terrell at Subway where the customer service was LESS than friendly! I asked the guy if they had light mayo and he said they just had regular, so then I asked if they had Miracle Whip and as he is holding the mayo he says "This is the same thing." I was like not exactly, but it will work. The people in there acted annoyed that we came and wanted a sandwich.

Once we got to Houston, I noticed a plethora of “adult” stores and signs. They were all over the place, some right next to places like the grocery store, or restaurants. Whitney pointed out one sign for a “naught bakery” while we were driving around. She said Houston doesn’t have any zoning laws and so those businesses can operate anywhere. Just a little different from Paris, where you have to drive 10 miles out of town to go to anything close to a store like that, or to even buy alcohol.

On the way home we ate a Dairy Queen, not my favorite place, but in small towns there aren’t many options. While we were there we were listening to the people that worked there. One of the girls was trying to decide what to order for dinner. She was looking at the menu and wanted to know the difference between the Steak Finger Basket and the Chicken Finger Basket. She seriously wanted to know the difference between steak and chicken! Someone behind the counter was like the difference is “steak or chicken” and the girl was like I know, what’s the difference between the two! Then when she finally realized what she was saying, she started laughing and was like “I’m just a little slow!” Terry and I were laughing so hard! I thought that’s not slow, that’s just plain dumb!

Then later as we drove through Terrell, there were two women dancing on the sidewalk and I use the term dancing loosely as they were not very good at all. It provided us with some comic relief.

Whitney and Sander’s apartment is way cute! They have done a fantastic job of making it a home. They were super hosts, making us scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast and delicious chicken salad for lunch! We went out and had gelato Saturday afternoon. I love that stuff! I had forgotten how good it was!!

Well, that’s pretty much all the highlights from our trip to Houston. This weekend, we leave for Colorado. Yea! We can’t wait to be in the mountains relaxing and enjoying God’s beauty! We’ll see what comical things happen on this drive.

0 comments: