So a friend of mine at work was talking about a blog (www.faithismessy.blogspot.com) a few weeks about a lady who quit going to church, but hadn't quit believing in God. So I started reading it today and was really intrigued. I think she has some valid points. That's not to say that I am going to quit going to church, but she gave some things to think about.
This is a blurb from a post this lady wrote back in January. Enjoy!
So, the religion detox continues. I have recently unplugged from a lot of churchy activities (okay all of them and people are starting to talk), realizing that wasn't the right place for me. That's like the cardinal sin of Christians. You can work yourself to death, but God forbid you quit something that is killing you!! It couldn't be the church...it must be something else in your life, it must be something wrong with you if you no longer love church, right?
But this intense desire to live for Christ hasn't faded by not attending church...its actually becoming an insatiable fire in my soul.
If I don't have to play by all the religious rules, what on earth do I do?
I want to be Christ wherever I am. To love people instead of sitting in church talking about love, but casually not getting around to actually doing the difficult loving part.
What if instead of recruiting people to our church and passing them off to God to heal on Sunday..what if we loved that person right then and there?
This is the down & dirty part. This isn't the part we unload all the scriptures we know...maybe this is the part where we close our mouths and listen.
Yeah, just listen.
Maybe we don't already have something spiritual rehearsed to say for the person whose marriage has crumbled. Or their addiction is exposed. Or their deepest hurts are shared in a moment of vulnerability.
At this point, I think we could do a lot of good if we reminded ourself that perhaps this hurting friend doesn't need to know what we know about God. This person needs to see God. Right now.

0 comments:
Post a Comment